If you’re a regular reader of Montessoried you know I have been exploring business disciplines to find effective strategies for advancing the Montessori movement.
- How many school age children are in the country? (potential market)
- How many of these children attend a school or daycare facility? (existing market)
It is important to have a clear understanding of Montessori’s position in the market if we want to expand our movement. Here is a graph of the computer operating system market share.
As much as we want Montessori to be the choice of 100% of the families in the market, we would happily settle for 80%. But where are we now? Are we, optimistically showing single digit numbers like Mac or Vista in this graph? Or is Montessori capturing less than a percent of the market like Linux? Until we know how much market we have, and how much our competitors have, we cannot understand how far we have to go and what strategies will be most effective.
Market Trends– how Market Size and Market Share change over time.
- Are there more families choosing school and day care facilities than in the past?
- Are more or fewer families choosing Montessori?
- Are more or fewer families choosing AMI?